What Are Enlarged Pores?
Enlarge Pores are noticeable facial depressions on the skin’s surface layer, where sweat or oil are trapped on the ducts like eccrine glands and sebaceous glands. They are usually not a medical condition but a large number of people do not like how it appears on the skin and desire to have tiny pores instead.
How Does Enlarged Pores Form?
It is necessary to understand what enlarged pores are and what causes them to form. Severe cases of enlarged pores can actually lead to serious skin concerns like acne. Enlarged pores are pretty common and can make your skin look dull and unhealthy, additionally, you might even look older than your actual age.
On the other hand, a few factors do exist that lead to enlarged pores. This includes:
Chances for an individual to experience enlarged pores are higher if both parents contain genetics with hormonal concerns that include acne base components. With one parent passing down the genetics component that is prone to acne, another one might be passing down the genetics component of a stronger inflammatory response to the bacteria, leading to the pores to open up.
Oily skin is usually caused by an increase in sebum that is over produced. People with oily skin appear as greasy or shiny and will experience larger pores in size.
Oily skin appears when every single pores, including an oil gland also known as sebaceous over produced sebum. When this happens, pimples or blackheads can appear when hair follicles are clogged with dead skin cells and keratin, creating keratin plugs.
Additionally, hair follicles that are huge can also result in enlarged pores, because the pores are the opening of the hair follicles.
Too much sun exposure can cause damage to the skin. Ultraviolet (UV) rays destroy and reduce the natural collagen production in our body which is responsible to lift and remain firmness on our skin. However, collagen loss will result in a loss of skin laxity and creates wrinkles and saggy skin.
Are There Different Types Of Pores?
Pores are not just one type but two, oil pores and sweat pores.
- Oil Pores: A right amount of oil is good for the skin as it provides moisture, hydration and promotes healthy skin at the same time. But an overproduction of sebum can result in an oily looking skin. Oil pores are connected with sebaceous glands that produce sebum underneath all the pores
- Sweat Pores: The pores are so tiny that naked eyes will not be able to notice it. We have sweat pores all over our body and usually produce excessive sweating when a person is overactive.
What Benefits Does Pores Have?
Many people have misconceptions that pores are bad. But do you know that pores do benefit our skin in certain ways?
Pores are in charge of keeping the skin healthy and when the pores are opened, it allows the skin to breathe. It also serves the function of allowing sweat and oil to get away from the skin, and this can cool us down.
Are There Any Disadvantages That Enlarged Pores Have?
Enlarged pores may be good when oil secretion is taking place and they are good for the skin. However, enlarged pores may cause certain skin conditions.
One of the skin conditions that enlarge pores might cause is rosacea. Rosacea is a common skin condition that is more than just about redness, but might go away on its own after sometime. This skin condition might also include pus-filled bumps. Pore size gets bigger and more noticeable as the skin starts to thicken and when the bumps and pimples start to form. Enlarged pores usually happen in the third stage of rosacea, including continuous dryness and dilated veins when growth of tissue is over produced.
Another skin condition that increases the size of the pores is acne. Inflammatory acne is the ones that are more prone to increase the pore size because of the openings from the sebaceous gland and hair follicle.
How Can You Reduce Your Pore Size?
Pore size is known to be smaller the better as it prevents clogged pores and bacteria from building up, thus some people will choose to reduce their pore size. However, it is impossible to get rid of enlarged pores completely. Enlarged pores are unable to go back to its usual size once it is stretched but they can be shrunk or minimise by keeping them off from oil and debris.
- Sunscreen / Sunblock: Protection is always an essential whether you are indoor or outdoor. Sun exposes our skin to the ultraviolet (UV) rays that are super harmful and can cause damage to the skin if there is no sunscreen or sunblock applied and act as a skin protection.
- Chemical Peel: Dead skin cells are often the culprit for causing pore size to increase. It is important to get rid of dead skin cells and excess oil from time to time to prevent any acne inflammation.
- Face Cleansing: Cleanse the face gently at least twice a day with warm water and avoid scrubbing the face because it can trigger or irritate the skin that leads to inflammation, thus the pores will be more obvious if it is inflamed.
- Treat Acne: Pores appear much more noticeable when acne clogs up the pores. Using cleanser that includes salicylic acid might help to unclog the pores and plus point, it is more gentle to the skin when used. Avoid picking or squeezing the pores
- Clay Mask: Beneficial for the skin by adsorbing excess oil and unclogging the pores.
- Pore Minimising Product: Products that include ingredients like niacinamide can help to reduce and unclog the pores.
Reduce Pores With Aesthetic Treatments
Do you know that certain aesthetic treatments can actually help to reduce the pore size?
A non-invasive laser treatment that is widely used to treat common skin imperfections. Individuals regardless of age desire to look young with a clear and bright skin that gives off radiance. PICO rejuvenates the skin and treats skin pigmentations to improve overall appearance. It uses concentrated laser energy to create micro-injuries underneath the skin by producing micro-beams
PICO Laser is a treatment suitable for anyone regardless of skin tone or skin types that have concerns about their overall skin complexions. Skin conditions like freckles or melasma, acne marks, dull skin, fine lines or wrinkles, and even tattoos can be improved or removed by PICO Laser. With minimal to no pain or downtime, PICO Laser produces noticeable results in one session. However, it requires at least a total of up to 5 to 10 sessions depending on each individual.
Benefits of PICO Laser:
- Pigmentations reduction
- Pores and scars reduction
- Skin brightening
Fractional CO2 Laser
An effective and non-invasive laser treatment dedicated to stimulating collagen growth for skin rejuvenation and reducing the size of the pores, fine lines or wrinkles, and boosting the skin texture, as well as treating acne scars. Creating numbers of microscopic thermal injury zones into layers of deep skin penetrated, it emits thousands of tiny micro-thermal zones to the targeted areas.
Fractional CO2 Laser is suitable for individuals that want to slow down the ageing process by reducing the appearance of acne scarring, uneven skin texture, enlarged pores, fine lines and pigmentations.
Benefits of Fractional CO2 Laser:
- Reduce enlarged pores
- Reduce sunken acne scars
- Improve skin texture.
Also known as Hollywood Peel. a laser treatment that deep cleanse skin concerns. Effective in treating those that are oily, prone to acne, dull looking skin and congested. Carbon Laser prevents acne by controlling sebaceous glands, showing visible results of instant glow and radiance in just a session.
Benefit of Carbon Laser:
- Control sebum and prevent oily skin
- Reduce and unclog large pores
- Reduce blackheads and whiteheads
- Reduce acne breakouts
- Improve skin tone and texture
Effectively cure wrinkles, redness, acne scars, minimizing pores, and improving the overall look and tone of the skin using the world’s first dual-wave radiofrequency (RF) microneedling system using 8 types of pulses to treat the targeted areas, and it is clinically proven to address concerns safely with at least up to 3 sessions.
Sylfirm X is suitable for individuals that face pigmentation issues like melasma, collagen reduction that causes skin elasticity concern, or existing acne scars and marks.
Benefit of Sylfirm X:
- Pigmentation reduction
- Skin rejuvenation
- Reduce acne scars and acne marks
An injection treatment that treats ageing concerns. Rejuran Healer contains hyaluronic acid and is made of highly purified Polynucleotides retrieved from the salmon DNA. This helps to increase the skin’s regenerative process by reducing inflammation and boosting collagen stimulation.
Rejuran Healer is suitable for individuals showing signs of ageing like wrinkles, saggy skin, damaged skin barriers or poor skin texture and post acne marks.
Benefit of Rejuran Healer:
- Boost collagen reproduction & skin healing
- Boost skin elasticity & texture
- Reduce large pores
At the end of the day, there are many factors that cause enlarged pores to form. However, it is important to keep our face clean and avoid bacteria from building and clogging the pores, resulting in acne breakouts.
Meet Our Doctors
At Become Aesthetics Clinic, our patient’s comfort and wellness are our top priority, drop by our clinic for a consultation. We’re happy to serve you!